procainamide testing

Use this discussion board to address concerns or to find support from others with the disease.

Moderators: mad1dude, Chas, estanis

procainamide testing

Postby bobalink » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Hello, my duaghter was dignosed with type 1 Brugada in May 2006 and had a defibilltor placed. My husband son and myself were also checked for the syndrome. My husbands EKG was fine my EKG showed type 3 my son's did not show any signs of the syndorme however, he had two episdoes of a-fib while in college. We are both preparing to undergo the procainamide injection on April 9th. I am very apprehensive about this testing. Has anyone on the site undergone this procedure to diagnose the syndrome. Please get back to me and let me know. thanks for your help concerning this matter.
bobalink
bobalink

Postby juliep » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:14 am

bobalink,
My husband's test took about a half-hour in the lab and I believe he was awake for it. They will give procainamide over a period of time (I think it's usually in an IV drip) and see if your heart shows an altered rhythm on the EKG. Brugada is a disease where the sodium channels in the heart don't carry what they're supposed to, and the drug works to mimic this effect, in my understanding (by blocking sodium uptake, I believe.)

They are NOT trying to induce a cardiac arrest in you. In a very very very small percentage of patients this happens (I think it's a lot less than 1%?), but that's not the goal. The procedure is done in a controlled lab with lots of equipment to get you out of cardiac arrest, in the slim chance that happened.

After the test you're pretty much ready to go. They'll watch you for a bit but I think you're up and out of there pretty soon afterwards. I don't remember much - someone else might know more and there might be posts on the board. They do this on children, too; it's not considered a high-risk procedure, at least according to our docs.
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger =]
juliep

Postby bobalink » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:49 pm

My son and I underwent the procainamide injection on Monday. My son's test was normal he showed no changes in his EKG pattern during the test. My results were a little differant. After ten minutes of the infusion I showed significant changes in my EKG. My doctor stopped the test and explained the results to me. He siad that I definately had Brugada syndrome. I was not truly shocked since my daughter was diagnosed last year as I told you. I will be undergoing the EP study on April 26th. I guess this will determine whether or not I need an AED. I did not think I would since I have been asymptomatic. After reading the posts on this site however I see that AED's have been placed in patients who have been asymptomatic. I am again a bit nervous regarding the catheterization.
bobalink
bobalink

Postby juliep » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:25 am

bobalink,
What are they looking for in the catheterization? Heart disease (blockages)?
juliep

Ep Study

Postby Delonghi » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:11 pm

Bobolink
I had an EP study back last July. I did have an adverse reaction and I have an ICD now. I was very anxious but as to the arrest I remember nothing other than coming around with a start. be prepared for lots of medical staff and lots of high tech equipment but reassured that they all are there for you and will react straight away if you do go into arrest. I felt fine afterwards aside from the obvious anxiety about having the ICD. I too was asymptomatic but my brother had a near fatal arrest which started the ball rolling for us. Almost a year later I am used to life with my little insurance policy. Its a traumatic time and you should expect to feel all sorts of emotions. Remember that if you do need an ICD life goes on as normal! I am a 42 year old mother of two with a full time job. I was told that apart form skydiving and bungee jumping I could do pretty much anything I wanted to! Fortunately neither of these two things were on my life plan. Good luck! I'll be thinking of you.
Delonghi

Postby juliep » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:21 pm

Hey, all. We did procainamide challenge with our two kids (20 months and 3 years old) this morning. By some miracle both came back negative, which doesn't mean they don't have it but there's a good chance they don't. Stressful at the time but all went well and we're all looking forward to a good night's sleep.

If I find out any more about what the negative result means, esp. in light of our not showing the genetic marker, I'll post.
juliep

Postby bobalink » Sun May 06, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi Juliep, Glad to hear all went well with your two children. I had the EP study on April 26 (not catheterization my mistake in wording on last entry). I went into ventricular fibrillation I was cardioverted and was for a short time in v-tach. I stablilized and went back to a normal sinus rythum. I now have an ICD. I am very anxious at this time. I know after time the anxiety will probably pass. My daughter who also has an ICD since last year this times continues to reassure me. She said that eventually I will not even know the device is there. It has only been a week and a few days so I am still somewhat uncomfortable in the area of insetion and my left arm. I know this will take some time and then will enventually resolve also. I am so thankful for this site. It is refreshing to be able to talk with people who are or who have went through the same ordeal. Thank you for your reply to my question and I look forward to hearing from you again soon. Take Care and I pry that your family stays well. Bobalink
bobalink
bobalink

Re: Ep Study

Postby bobalink » Sun May 06, 2007 4:00 pm

Hi Delonghi, I had the EP study on April 26th and I now have an ICD. I also had a reaction and had to be cardio verted back into a sinus rythum. I am anxious at this time regarding the ICD but I am hoping after time this will resolve. I also work a full time job I am a case manager nurse. I take care of mentally challenged adults. My concern regarding my job is whether I am going to be able to continue to do my job at the capacity I was prior to the ICD being inplanted. I carry charts that way sometimes in excess of 10-15 pounds. I also have to be able to transport wheelchairs in and out of vans. I am wondering if anyone has had a problem lifting heavy weight or using their left arm after the placement of the ICD. I am currently out of work for the next eight weeks until I heal form the surgery. I know that my doctor also said I can return to a normal lifestyle after this. I guess I am just worrying becuae of how I feel at this time. My daughter seems to do well but she is also only 26. I am 50. Hope all is well with you. I look forward to hearing from you take care and stay well. Bobalink
bobalink
bobalink

Postby juliep » Mon May 07, 2007 2:04 am

bobalink,
If it's any reassurance, my husband (45 years old) carries both our 35 pound son and 21 pound daughter around all the time, without a thought. No damage so far (we're one year out.) He carries them both on both sides, left arm and right arm.
juliep
juliep

Postby bobalink » Mon May 07, 2007 12:59 pm

Thank you Juliep. That is very reassuring. I spoke to my daughter about this also. She is also in the medical field. She said that at times her chest and under her left arm become uncomfortable when she moves alot of patients throughout the day. She said "mom" you will learn to have a very strong right arm. I am sure all of this worrying only comes because of the way I feel now. As time goes on I kno it will lessen. Thanks again for the reassuring words. Take care
bobalink
bobalink

Postby Delonghi » Wed May 09, 2007 10:53 am

Bobolink

From all that I have been told there is no reason why you can't carry on with your job! Remember that it is very early days and you will be feeling tender and sore. This does pass. I am still careful not to get a bang in that area but otherwise I carry on pretty much as normal running around after two kids and playing squash a couple of time a week. Give yourself time, it takes a lot of getting used too ( both physically and emotionally) but you do get used to it. Take the time to rest and be assured that all that you have described is entirely normal. Look after yourself. I wish you all the best. (And don't rush back to work too soon!)
Delonghi
Delonghi

Procainamide Test questions

Postby charlie » Sun May 13, 2007 4:12 pm

THose of you who had the test--were you told to not eat or drink anything prior to the test? I have the test at 1 in the afternoon and was told not to eat or drink anything past mid night prior to the test? Thank you. Charlie
charlie

Re: Procainamide Test questions

Postby bobalink » Mon May 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Hi Charlie, yes, that is the normal procedure not to eat or drink anything after midnight. I guess it is best to have the test completed in the morning hours so that you do not have to go so many hours without eating. When my son and I had our procainamide infusion we made sure that we scheduled early 10am in the morning however, the test was not completed until 2pm. The doctor had a complicated case scheduled before us. You can never predict what will happen whenyou are in a hospital setting. I wish you good luck. If you have already had the test please let me know how you made out. Take Care. Bobalink
bobalink
bobalink

Return to Brugada Syndrome Support Group